Wild Oxfordshire provides the help and advice to enable our communities to take action to make the vision of a living, connected landscape possible.
Our hedgerow work this year, kindly funded through CPRE Oxfordshire, has been hugely encouraging, showing us that there is great enthusiasm from local communities to create, restore and manage Oxfordshire’s hedgerows!
All that a healthy hedgerow provides
“Before the advent of the flail hedge trimmer (only 50 years ago), hedges were cut and laid in a circa 10-year cycle, so only 10% were cut in any one year. There were also more hedges – and the remaining 90% of uncut hedges would have been of varying growth stages. Hedgerows were the countryside’s larder – pink and white with blossom in the spring, and red with fruit in the autumn. Every living creature had a corridor linking to the diverse farmland around.”
Rob Crocker, Oxfordshire Farmer
40% increase in hedgerow cover by 2050!
National CPRE is calling for Government commitment to increase hedgerow cover by 40% by 2050
What this means for Oxfordshire:
The 1997 – 1999 CPRE Oxfordshire Hedgerow Survey concluded that there was approximately 7,820 km of hedgerow in Oxfordshire. For Oxfordshire, a 40% increase would see an additional 3,128km by 2050 – or 108km a year, which may sound ambitious. However, equally distributed across the county (there are 235 parishes in Oxon), meaning…
it’s only about 0.5km per parish per year, for the next 30 years!
We won’t be delivering 3,138km, but it’s a start and we are hoping to create an inspiring and helpful community project template to encourage others to take action for hedgerows on their patch. Thanks to a generous funder, five county CPRE groups are embarking on a volunteer-led project to plant and restore of over 15km of hedgerow and boost public engagement in local landscapes.
Our Project Partners
Wild Oxfordshire & CPRE Oxfordshire are delighted to be working with
- Kidlington Parish Council,
- Watlington Climate Action Group and Watlington Environment Group
- Eynsham and surrounding parishes Nature Recovery Network,
- the Wychwood Forest Trust
- And other local hedgerow heroes too!
Watch Our Webinar Series Again
Surveying Hedgerows - Why and How
(Peoples’ Trust for Endangered Species)
Hedgerows - Reservoirs of Life
(Devon Hedge Group)
Hedgerows - laws, Rules & Regulations
Introducing Watlington Hedgerow Project
A short film on the Watlington Hedgerow Project, featuring international Hedgerow Expert Nigel Adams. Find out more about the project here: www.watlingtonclimateaction.org.uk
More resources below
How to Survey a Hedge
This is a video of some of the training given to volunteers in preparation for conducting a survey of the hedges in the Parish. The PTES (People’s Trust for Endangered Species) methodology is being used for this survey.
How to Lay a Hedge
Filmed with Hedge laying expert, Nigel Adams.
What is in a Hedge?
Hedges are vitally important for wildlife and storing carbon, but most of the time we don’t take much notice of what makes up a hedge. So we take a closer look…
These films were produced by Nicola Schafer photography
Planting a Hedge? Take a look at our species advice graphics
- Oxfordshire’s very own Rob Crocker talks (and sings) to Eynsham’s Local Nature Recovery Network about the glory of hedges
Why Hedgerows Are Amazing
How to Survey Hedgerows
How to survey the condition of a hedgerow using:
The People’s Trust for Endangered Species Great British Hedgerow Survey
DEFRA Hedgerow Survey Handbook
Hedgerow Species Identification
Planting New Hedgerows
Funding: Woodland Trust can subsidise up to 75% of new hedging.
How to plant a newhedge (doc)
Species to plant:
Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa)
Guelder rose (Viburnum opulus)
Spindle (Euonymus europaea)
Crab apple (Malus sylvestris)
Holly (Ilex europaeus)
Hazel (Coryllus avellana)
Field maple (Acer campestre)
Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)
Management & Rejuvenation